Wednesday, August 31, 2005

Well, things just seem to be getting worse for the whole delta-region of the United States. The flood waters from Hurricane Katrina have devistated New Orleans and the damage to other coastal regions in its path is just unspeakable. The latest I've heard is that the U.S. Government is planning to use some of our emergency oil supply to counter the sudden loss in the supply from the Gulf platforms. This, in combination with the Saudi Arabian contribution plan should help level out (and possibly reduce) the outrageous prices at the gas pumps.

I spent literally $60 to fill up my truck, yesterday evening. I placed the nozzle in the filler spout on my truck, and by the time it shut off and I hung it back on the pump, a worker at the station was changing the prices from $2.61/gal up to $2.71/gal for regular unleaded. I got in just under the jump in prices.

Labor Day is coming up soon...this Monday, actually. But I don't think it will be the grand holiday of cookouts and vacationing that it typically is. With the fuel prices being high, Katrina having destroyed so much, and people's moods being what they are.... I would assume things are going to be rather low-key. These are disheartening times that we live in. We're far from the worst this country has seen....but just as far from the best. Each generation must endure its own hardships and cope.

Personally, I want the Middle-East situation taken care of...our troops home...gas prices down...disaster relief provided for those affected by Katrina...my refund from my ISP to come in....my wife to get the job she's trying hard to get...and a nice raise at my own job would be nice.

I don't ask for much, do I? (grin)

I'm not sure if I mentioned it before, but I've recently quit smoking. While I enjoyed smoking and it was somewhat pleasureable, I know that I was playing with my life. I was affecting those around me not only with the very real threat to my own health and well-being... but by subjecting them to the deadly hazards of passive second-hand smoke. I hope that my poor choices haven't adversely affected them in some way. The good news, however, is that I am now 6 days...smoke-free!!

I won't lie and say it's been an easy thing, mentally, to overcome.... but the kit I used to overcome the physical addiction to nicotine has worked like a charm. I want to thank someone very special and dear to my heart for their generous and loving gesture toward the well-being of not only myself, but that of my family as well. You know who you are...and I am in your debt for your kindness. Thank you so much.

Well...that's enough for now. I'll update you on any changes tomorrow.

No comments: